Thursday, November 15, 2007

Republicans, why don’t you respect my gay marriage?

I ask the Republican presidential candidates about gay marriage in my new video for the CNN YouTube debate. I’m a lesbian who’s been married to the same woman since my church wedding in 1987, but all of the Republican frontrunners have been divorced and remarried, sometimes more than once! I want to know why they won’t give my 20-year marriage the same legal status that their marriages have. If my video is chosen by CNN, it will be broadcast and answered on live TV on Nov. 28. You can see the video now by clicking the button in the middle of image above. CNN’s Anderson Cooper will moderate the live debate between the eight major Republican candidates for U.S. president – Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Gov. Mike Huckabee, Rep. Duncan Hunter, Sen. John McCain, Rep. Ron Paul, Gov. Mitt Romney, Rep. Tom Tancredo and Sen. Fred Thompson. It will run live from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. (ET) on CNN on Wed., Nov. 28. In the video I show the “Holy Union” certificate from my wedding at Metropolitan Community Church of San Francisco in 1987 – long before “gay marriage” became a major political issue. Politicians like to make it sound like all churches oppose “gay marriage” while the government at least recognizes “civil unions.” My video shows that progressive spiritual communities have been blessing GLBT unions for decades. For example, a variety of wedding rites and relationship blessings for GLBT couples are included in my now-classic book Equal Rites: Lesbian and Gay Worship, Ceremonies, and Celebrations Someday I hope that the secular world will catch up with the church. There’s still time for you to ask a video question, too. The CNN YouTube Debates site is accepting videos through Nov. 25. Please let me know if you submit a question, so that we can support each other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Look into Ron Paul. He doesn't see marriage as a governmental issue, whether it be hetero, homo, or anything else. Any mutually voluntary relationship is okay by him. He may personally think that certain types of voluntary relationships are weird or immoral, but he doesn't want them to be illegal.